Hello readers. Today here we discuss about What is a Pharmacy Progress Note ? How to Write a Pharmacy Progress Note ? When to Write Pharmacy Progress Note ? Pharmacy Progress Note Procedure.
When to Write a Pharmacy Progress Note -Procedure
What is a Pharmacy Progress note?
When it comes to documentation of pharmacy services and whenever there is something to communicate to the entire medical team, note(s) is written in response to a formal consult in case of pain management, antibiotic monitoring, medication reconciliation, etc… E.g.: “Would consider changing Synthroid 10 mg po daily to 100 mcg po daily”
When to write a progress note?
There are 3 main ways to communicate with other members of the medical team. Not all communication is apt for a progress note. According to the urgency of the case, the communication types are chosen.
- Progress notes (about the consultation/documentation process)
- Sticky notes (or other communication not part of the medical record, helps build a relationship with the team.)
- Verbal communication (in person or on the phone; if there is a grossly ridiculous issue going on)
How to write a pharmacy progress note?
- Write to the point being brief– No one wants to read a long note with mostly ‘fluff’ in it. Physicians haveto read each note. If you can express what is needed in a single sentence, do it. If you suggest a pneumococcal vaccine, in the middle of a 3-page note the physician doesn’t read it, and the patient goes on to develop pneumonia. A physician’s mind is being sued when they are reading a lengthy progress note.
- Use non-judgmental language– It is easy to be misinterpreted because you can’t use body-language or intonation to show that you are genuinely trying to help take better care of a patient, so make sure you avoid using judgmental language, such as the word “obviously” or the phrase “should have”. Use non-judgmental words like “consider”, “suppose” with your recommendation.
- Prepare an alternative to SOAP – Physicians write SOAP (subjective, objective, assessment, plan) notes because the format lends itself well to problem-based care. TITRS (title, introduction, text, recommendation, and signature) format helps to find communicate the information such as:
The Title-Introduction reveals the basic questions “Who am I? My purpose? Who is/are the patient? Their needs”. Text must support your clear and complete recommendations with subjective & objective information. It should be followed by your signature and how you can be reached.
Decide prudently when to communicate verbally, or with a sticky note or a progress note. It can cost a patient’s life.
Hope you got the answers for What is a Pharmacy Progress Note ? How to Write a Pharmacy Progress Note ? When to Write Pharmacy Progress Note ? Pharmacy Progress Note Procedure ?