Before studying function of hospital first let us know what is hospital.
“The’hospital is an integral part of a social and medical organization, the function of which is to provide the population complete health care, both curative and preventive, and whose out-patient services reach out to the family in its home environment; the hospital is also a centre for the training of health workers and for bio-social research.”
What are the basic role and functions of a hospital?
- Patient care
- Public health care
- Education services
General functions of hospitals:
- Medical services
- Administrative services
- Patient care & education
- diagnosis, treatment of illness
- convalescent care
Major functions of hospitals:
- Treatment and management of patients
- Patient care with nursing, dietary diagnostic, therapy, pharmacy and laboratory services.
- Management & Administrative services
Function of hospital pharmacy:
The prime objectives and functions of hospital pharmacy are cost containment, patient satisfaction, effective staff utilization and effective and efficient services
- Managing the use of medications in hospitals and other medical centers
- Advising both patients and other health professionals about the safe and effective use of medicines
- Choosing, preparing, storing, compounding and dispensing medications for patients in a medical environment
- Prescription, procuration, delivery, administration and review of medications to optimize patient outcomes
- Ensure correctness patient, dose, route of administration, time, drug, information and documentation
Function of clinic:
- Clinics are particular blocks of time set aside for a team of healthcare professionals to see patients together
- Hospital clinics are primarily concerned with acute diseases, and the physicians in the clinics are usually the same physicians who treat inpatients in the hospital.
- Individual practitioner plus the benefit of group consultation, have encouraged the establishment of clinics
- Promote prompt and reliable medical attention.
FUNCTIONS OF A HOSPITAL PHARMACIST
- To provide and evaluate pharmaceutical services
- To draw a plan for hospital pharmacy administration
- To establish liaison between administrative authorities and medical Doctors.
- To estimate the requirements for the department and enforce the policies and procedures for the recruitment of adequate and competent staff
- To develop and maintain an effective system of clinical and administrative records and reports
- To participate in and adhere to the financial plan of the operation for the hospital